Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Perfect Picture Book Friday: Six-Dinner Sid

I swear I am not a cat lover, but here I am again blogging about a cat book.


Title: Six-Dinner Sid
Author/Illustrator: Inga Moore
Publisher: Aladdin Paperbacks, 1993
Fiction or non-Fiction: Fiction
Audience age: 4 and up
Theme: Honesty, Math, Animals

Opening pages: 
"Sid lived at number one Aristotle Street..

He also lived at number two, number three, number four, number five, and number six."

Synopsis: From School Library Journal, "Sid, a clever cat, has convinced six people on Aristotle Street that each is his owner so that he gets fed six different dinners every night. When the neighbors catch on, Sid moves to a new neighborhood."

Resources:
There are many lesson plans and activities on the web, most having to do with counting and math but also writing because of the story's multiple themes.

Why I like this book:
This is a simple, easy-to-follow story that is great for learning numbers (up to the number six!).  In addition, Moore does a wonderful job telling us about one cat -- Sid -- through describing his actions as six different cats -- very ironic.   

For more Picture Perfect Books please visit author Susanna Leonard Hill’s blog.

12 comments:

  1. Look at his eyes, they are crazy. No wonder if he's been six cats lol. Sounds like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are crazy cat eyes! I never noticed before. :-)

      Delete
  2. This book looks like a great pick for learning to count!
    Thanks for telling us about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cunning cat! I have hosted a regular cat dinner date at mine, much to the horror of my own two, until I installed an electronic cat flap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever kitty! I love cats...so this is a must read for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I don't gravitate toward cats. But I love the title and concept of this book, will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever cat -- sounds like a fun read for kids. And, the activity is great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this book sounds like so much fun! Leave it to a cat to be so clever - a dog would have given itself away long sooner :) I'll have to find this one - it looks like a great read! Thanks for adding it to our list, Margaret :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the cover showing the six feeding bowls. How long does Sid continue to get away with this? I can just see a before reading chat with early learners as they try and predict the ending. I'm curious too. Think I'm gonna get this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delightful (I love cats)! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I havent heard of this particular picture book yet, thanks for sharing. I was reminded a little bit of the NYRB books like Jenny Goes to Sea (its a series of books about a cat named Jenny) by Esther Averill. Have you heard of tha one yet? Would be a good companion book to this crafty black cat. :)

    ReplyDelete